Monday, July 6, 2009

Paper Plane -- Food & Wine Cocktails 2009


In publications since 2005, and edited by PDT's Jim Meehan since 2007. These guides are fun and inspiring. Sometimes the recipes are over-ambitious for home mixology, but it is still cool to read recipes from bartenders you know, and from places you've been.

The 2009 guide changes the format a bit, focuses on specific bartenders for sections such as Jamie Boudreau for Apertifs, but is a welcome change.

Flipping thru the book, I immediately zoned in on a drink called a Paper Plane, from NYC's Little Branch. I haven't been there yet. The only Sasha Petraske place I've yet been was White Star, and frankly, I though it was inferior. The bartenders were surprisingly amateur in technique and knowledge. One of their signature cocktails is called an American Trilogy. Though the menu specified an American Whiskey, the bartender insisted -- after pouring the wrong ingredient -- that the correct Whisky was Irish, and that it had been created by an Irish bartender at Milk & Honey. Make sense? Not at all. I don't care who created it. An American Trilogy must use only American spirits. Right?

Back to the Paper Plane. It is damned delicious. The drink was created by Sam Ross at Little Branch, and named after M.I.A.'s song of similar name.

Paper Plane
3/4 oz Bourbon
3/4 oz Aperol
3/4 oz Nonino Amaro
3/4 oz Lemon juice

Essentially, a corpse reviver. Try one ASAP. This is a killer summer drink, and gets my highest praise.

I don't have Aperol or Amaro Nonino at home, so took the recipe to my local favorite, Skinner's Loft, where the bartenders may lack expertise but make up for it in enthusiasm.


No comments:

Post a Comment