Monday, July 13, 2009

Momofuku Ssäm, Little Branch, and Del Pedro

Last Thursday, spent some time with my friend Chris. One of the few I have in NYC. But more so, a partner in crime. This evening, we will spend at his apartment in preparation for his birthday party on Saturday, mixing up small batches of punch. A dry run, pun intended. But on to last week...

Food and drinks and Momofuku Ssäm (my second time there in less than a week). First things first -- goddamn are those pork buns delicious. I could eat 10 of them in one sitting. Really. Screw hot dog eating contests. The upscale version should be David Chang pork bun eating contests. As for the drinks, same as last entry. I had the Pickled Ramp Martini and the Old Fashioned (Applejack infused with nori). Decent, but neither were as good as my previous visit. Still, though ramps are out of season, I'd like to attempt a unique Gibson/dirty Martini. Maybe pearl onions, but using David Chang's pickling recipe.

Moving on. We've never been to Little Branch, so decided to give it a shot. I was already suspect going into it. I'm really not into the elitist speakeasy vibe, and I am no fan of Sasha Petraske's White Star, where the bartenders (the one's I've met) see poorly trained. We waiting in line about 10 minutes. Inside was crowded. I found the clientele and hostess a little too hipper-than-thou annoying. Our cocktails were decent, but nothing to rave about. We left after one drink. Will I ever go back? I want to say no, but I wont. I'll give it a second chance. Maybe on a Monday.

We hopped in a cab with intent to go somewhere (Death & Co.?) but decided to hop out when right near Pegu Club, my reigning favorite. And, I am so thankful we did. Our bartender was the wonderful Del Pedro. He's tended for us before, but on more hectic nights. This Thursday was oddly low-key, and we had his attention. In part because Del overheard us talking the talk, and then schooling us. It was an amazing night. We started off ordering off the menu, revised for the season since I had last been there. Everything was perfect, and stunning. As the night drew on, I began asking for off-menu drinks. One of them being a a Paper Airplane, which I had just fallen in love with after reading about it in Food & Wine Cocktails 2009 -- ironically from Little Branch. Del said he would make it, but then also offered his own like drink, on the house, for a side-by-side tasting. His was the 19th Century Cocktail.

Let's step back as second. I had just recently also discovered and loved the 20th Century Cocktail after reading about it in the just re-released Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails, by Ted "Doctor Cocktail" Haigh. So, what was this 19th Century Cocktail?
  • Bourbon
  • Lillet Rouge
  • Lemon Juice
  • Creme de Cacao
(Portions unknown until I experiment.)

Similar in ways to the Paper Airplane and the 20th Century, but oh so much more delicious.

The night evolved into a discussion of Amari, and then small tastings of their selection -- Nonino, Ramazzotti, Averna, and others..

Thanks to the generosity, mentorship, and expertise of Mr. Pedro, this was probably the most fun I've ever had on a night of mixed drinking.

I just hope we tipped him well as we stumbled out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment