Monday, July 6, 2009

My Best Martini Yet

Inspired by my recent visits to Flatiron Lounge and Momofuku Ssäsm, I devised a Martini using some of the ingredients from cocktails I've had at each place. At Flatiron, I had a Hendricks Martini variation that used Bianco Vermouth. I'd never purchased or tasted it before. As I had guessed, it is a sweet white vermouth. A bit spicy, and quite delicious. At Momofuku, I had the Laird's Nori-infused Old Fashioned, which uses Celery bitters. They may make their own, but I use the award-winning Bitter Truth bitters.

I am naming this Martini as an hommage to the Jewish deli classic Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda, as it takes its celery essence from the bitters and sweetness from the bianco.

The Cel-Ray Martini
2 oz Gin (I used Tanqueray, which is sweet for a London Dry)
1/2 oz French vermouth
1/2 oz Bianco vermouth (I used M&R)
2 dashes Bitter Truth's Celery Bitters

No comments:

Post a Comment