Monday, July 6, 2009

Small things make big differences

I have been testing a variety of ice sizes lately and have concluded that for home use the Tovolo silicone trays indeed make the best ice. (Of course, I wouldn't mind having a $1700 Kold-Draft Ice Butler for the Penthouse condo I will some day live in after hitting the Mega Millions lottery.)

However the big news is my new Japanese stirring glass. I've been lusting after this for a few years of patronizing Angel's Share, B-Flat, Tokyo Bar, and PDT. I can say unequivocally that this glass aids in producing the finest mixed drink. It is heavy, which allows for smooth, easy, one-handed stirring. And I assume from its short stature, cools the liquids quicker when properly filled with ice (4 cubes hand-cracked, 3-4 whole cubes to the top). Previously I was using the standard pint glass, or 16 oz mixing tin (which gets cooler quicker than the pint glass). Neither come close. Even my wife, who is usually not attuned to such nerdism noticed a profound difference in my drinks coinciding with the arriving of this Japanese beauty.

Where did I get it? Well, right now, I am being a selfish a-hole, so won't mention because it is only available in limited quantities. I have a few friends that need to buy it first before I reveal the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment