Friday, August 14, 2009

Frequent Flyer

I picked up a new gin today. Being on a limited budget at the moment, I've been exploring cheaper gins such as Gordons, Gilbeys, Seagrams, and today Burnetts ($8.99). For the most part, they all work in a cocktail. I have yet to find a BAD one. I think the major issue is the proof, with most of the cheaper ones being only 80, making for a more flabby, less crisp drink.

But, with each new purchase, my first test is an Aviation. I made one with the Burnetts, and it was serviceably fine. Not great, not awful. When making, I accidentally used 1/2 oz Maraschino instead of 1/4 oz, so double all of my other ingredients to make a double. I poured one, and put the other in the freezer.

While sipping the first one, the oddness of the cocktail hit me. See, I have always liked the Aviation, but honestly, as not much more than a novelty act of a bygone era. For me, the Creme de Violette and Maraschino have always seemed at odds, like siblings from different marriages forced to live under one roof as a new family. This is when I had my A-Ha! moment. Not related to my previous post, as I was sipping the Aviation, it dawned on me that it begged for a touch of Apricot liqueur.

I finished the first Aviation, and then reached into the freezer to pull out the excellently chilled waiting one. I proceeded to do a float of French Apricot liqueur (over a spoon).

Wow. What a revelation. The apricot brings the two siblings together, as if all three were born of the same parents, but just have radically different personalities.

In tribute to the Aviation, I am dubbing it...

The Frequent Flyer
2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz Lemon juice
1/4 oz Creme de Violette liqueur
1/2 oz Apricot liqueur

Stir in a mixing glass with ice. Pour, then float Apricot over a barspoon, into the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment